Nizhniy Novgorod was founded by Grand Duke Yuriy Vsevolodovitsch in 1221. The city is situated on the two rivers — the river Volga and the river Oka. Nowadays Nizhniy novgorod is 5th city in Russia in number of population. City is an important economical, transport and cultural center of this country.
In this part we’ll tell you, which places are worthy to be visited.
It is standing on the hill near the confluence of Oka and Volga. The first stronghold was built on this place in 1221. It was wooden. Today’s Kremlin’s built began in the border of 15th and 16th centuries. Kremlin was destroyed and re-builted for 3 times. It was wooden, built of white stone, and, after all, they saw him built of the red bricks.
It was being built for 15 years.After all this time, the length of the walls reached 2 kilometers, and tere were 13 towers in it. Nowadays there are 12 of them.
There is the longest stairs over the Volga bank in our city. There are 560 of them. They are called Chkalow stairs, cause of Chkalow’s monument on their top.
Idea of their building was firstly offered by vice-chairman of City Executive Commitee Alexander Shulpin in 1939. This idea was really graceful — Stairway was thought to connect city Center with embankment.
These plans had been broken by the beginning of the Great Patriotic War. But in 1943 stairway’s built began in honour of the Stalingrad Fight’s victory. It’s built finished in 1949.
Nowadays this stairway is one of the most popular places for rest among the city population — it is known as the main obcervation point of Nizhniy Novgorod. There is a great view of e left Volga’s bank opening. It is not occupied by city buildings and it is a nature reserve. There are aviashows taking place over the stairs.
It is the main street of the historical part of The city. It is completely pedestrian. Some time before there was Pokrovskaya church at the street. The sterret is called after it. Previously there were aristocrats’ houses at this street, and some of them are still standing. Nowadays street is full of shops, cafes and restorauns. You can see broze statues at the street. They represent ordinary and famous people living in the city. The main places of interest, which are situated at the street, are Gorkiy Theatre of Drama and National Bank.
It is an outstanding monument of neorussian architectural style. It was built in
By the way, according to the city legend, massive Bell tower with bells and dial plate with the signs of the Zodiac on it was being built for a one night before the Emperor’s arrival. She is standing a little way from the main building indeed. They say the reason is a merchant’s balcony. He refused to take off the white goods, which were hanged.anyway, the merchant wasn’t arrested. Tey decided to block it from the emperor.
This bulding never changed it’s purpose. In the years of the Civil war it was the main russian treasury. It contained the most of national gold reserve.
Open day in the bank is 17th of May. This day this Bank was inaugurated.
It was inaugurated at Day of National Unity, 4 November of 2005 in Nizhniy Novgorod. Sculptor is Zurab Tseretely. It is an exact reduction of the statue located in Moscow. Monument is located near to the Kremlin walls and the John the Forerunner Church. That church’s porch served as a scene for Minin in 1611. That day he pronounced his famous appeal to call city population to assemble a home guard to protect Moscow from poland intervention.
Appearence of this statue in Nizhny Novgorod is a historical justice reinstatement.
It numbers almost 5 centuries of existance. Fair started in 1524 near the Vasilsursck town. It was founded by the Great Duke Vasiliy Ioannovitsch. In 1641 Fair was replaced. New place for it was as close as possible to the St. Makariy monastery.
For a very long time it was called after it — Makaryevskaya. In 1816 conflagration happend. The fair was destroyed. So, it was decided to place it on the confluence of the Volga and the Oka. Nowadays there are 6 exibition halls, 5 conference halls including Heraldic hall. you can always see the exibitions of art, architecture at alias at the fair.
It is an unique exposition based on the true material. It tells us about the last years of life of Gorkiy in the Nizhniy Novgorod
It is an active ortodox church. It was built in
It is one of the oldest churches in the city. It exist from the 15 century. At the very beginning it was being built using the popular arcitectural style called “ship”. But this style was changed cause of church location.
This monastery was founded in the beginning of the 13th century by Yuriy Vsevolodovitsch. It is located in Nizhegorodskiy area, on the right bank of Oka.